Thursday, October 30, 2008

Certifiably A.D.D

Yesterday I attended an Excel - Advanced class. When Vonchelle worked with me I had no need for such skills because she is a super user, but since her departure I have been left to my own devices, which isn't much. I have actually been sending my work to John, communicating my needs, and then he would promptly return to me! That was only going to last for so long seeing as though he has his own work to do -- AS IF!

It occurred to me during the class that I really only have the attention span of a fly - or that I am certifiably ADD. At any given time of the day I am thinking of what I did, what I need to do, and for five focused minutes here and there I think of what is actually in front of me and needs to be done pronto. I think my inability to pay attention and focus is represented in other aspects of life too. I have 4, yes, 4 knitting projects on my coffee table (28Thirty, Scabbard, Wedding Shrug, and Nati) all begging for my attention! I have probably 2 additional projects in my bag and 2 more in my basket :-) I have a list of wedding items to be done - and I still insist on making plans for the weekend... Oh, and then there's work. 35 items on my pending list --- all to be completed by November 26; right!

I like to think of myself as a productive person, but really, how can I ever get anything accomplished. Since I feel this way about myself, it's a bit alarming when my boss says that I "exceed expectations" -- how can I exceed anything when I can't finish?? I am great at starting, maybe not so great at finishing. I can only finish when under pressure. And more importantly, what does this say about me? Uggg! I'm going to commit this weekend to not starting anything new, crossing off of my 'to-do' list, and maybe finishing a few items.

I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way - it works well for me - I get bored and accomplish less if I have less going on! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete